How a Mandate/DDI can be cancelled varies between the SEPA and Bacs schemes.
Common to both schemes:
- It is only possible to cancel a mandate/DDI that is in
READY FOR EXPORTDirect Debit transactions linked to a cancelled Mandate/DDI are automatically revoked.
- No further collections may be made against a cancelled mandate/DDI.
In SEPA If you want to engage with your payer at a later point, and want to collect direct debit payments once again, you will need to create a new mandate.
In Bacs, it is possible for your payers to reinstate a cancelled DDI through their bank, provided that the DDI was cancelled within the last 2 months.
Where this happens, Nuapay will receives a code “R” in an ADDACS file and will set the DDI status back to
ACTIVE. See the ADDACS Reason Codes for more information.
SEPA Mandate Cancelation
- A mandate may only be cancelled by the merchant.
- If payers want to cancel their mandates they must contact the merchant and request this.
- Mandate cancellations are always merchant-initiated.
Bacs DDI Cancelation
In the Bacs scheme, payers may cancel their DDIs by:
- Contacting you, the merchant, and requesting that you cancel the DDI.
- Contacting their bank and requesting the cancellation.
CONTACTING YOU - Merchant-Initiated
Where the payer contacts your support team or Account manager and requests the cancellation:
- Call the Cancel DDI endpoint; the DDI is cancelled in Nuapay.
- This update in DDI status automatically triggers a status update from Nuapay to the Bacs scheme (via an AUDDIS message: Bacs code
- The payer’s bank processes this update from Nuapay (via the scheme) and updates the DDI status to Cancelled on its systems.
CONTACTING THE BANK - Payer-Initiated
Where the payer goes directly to the bank to request the DDI cancellation:
- The Payer requests the bank to cancel the DDI that was set up with your business.
- The bank will cancel the DDI and issue a message to the Bacs scheme to notify Nuapay via an ADDACS notification (Bacs Code =
- Once Nuapay processes the ADDACS file, the DDI is updated to
CANCELLEDstatus; you will generally be unable to make collection against that DDI in future.
- (In some cases your payer may look to reactivate the mandate: this can be done if they request reinstatement at their bank within 2 months of the cancellation).
When working with our APIs, please use the Sandbox URI when testing and the Live URI when you move to Production.
LIVE https://api.nuapay.com SANDBOX https://sandbox.nuapay.com/
If you haven't done so already and would like to do some testing, please Request Sandbox Access
Important: Endpoints and Webhooks may be extended from time to time and any changes we make will follow our Versioning and Backward Compatibility rules. This means that the code that you write today must be designed to be robust enough to handle any future changes (where a new object is added to (or removed from) a specific API response, for example).