Our API offers access to standard and electronic mandates (E-Mandates).
If you require your payers to sign paper mandates then the standard mandate approach would be appropriate. Please contact a member of our Customer Services team for more details.
For more information on E-Mandates please check out the various E-Mandate implementation options.
Working with paper-based mandates can be problematic; you need to use standard post; your payers may be slow to return the signed mandate; they may make an error when writing their account details; in some cases the signature may be unreadbale or the payer may have incorrectly completed the form. Assuming the mandate is returned and has been completed correctly, you then need to store the paper mandates and ensure that they can be retrieved later if required.
Electronic mandates remove all these pain points:
- Users sign the mandates online
- Account details are validated in real time (so your payers cannot provide you with an invalid account number)
- The mandate is set to ACTIVE status immediately (for the SEPA CORE scheme) so you can begin to take payments right away: no waiting for signed paper mandates to arrive. Note that for BACS, DDIs are subject to the lodgement and collection cycle so mandates do not go into ACTIVE status immediately.
- Your users receive emails to confirm activation of their mandates so again, less admin work for you!
- Mandate details can be easily retrieved at any time via the List Mandates service.